Corona Virus update:
Our Song and lyrics Copyright Registration continuity plan.
Songrite Copyright office staff are currently "home working" due to Government advice about social distancing.
- If you need to contact us during this period, please email us with any queries to - Songrite Copyright Office
- Members can still submit songs, music and lyrics direct to us online. - Members Login
- Songrite are still accepting new members. - Apply For Membership
- Until further notice all registration documents (Certificates / Song Composite Documents and Registration and Safe Storage Contracts) will be issued DIGITALLY direct to your email address usually within 48 hours (This is more economical)
- We thank you for your patience during this time.
- Be creative and above all "Stay Safe"
Copyright Registering Songs and Lyrics:
We regularly get asked questions about protecting Song /Music and Lyrical copyrights, these include;
- Should I Copyright my Songs / Music / Lyrics?
- Do I need to Copyright my Songs / Music / Lyrics?
- How do I Copyright my Songs / Music / Lyrics?
- Will Copyrighting my Songs protect them?
- Do I receive a Copyright Certificate?
- How long does Copyright last for?
- When does Copyright become effective?
Securing proof of copyright ownership is your responsibility.
Authors /composers of works registered with this office will receive the following three documents.
- Official CR3 - Copyright Registration Certificate
- Detailed Song Composite Document
- Authors Registration and Secure Contract
All copyright registrations are one-off payments, there are no additional or top up payments. Copyright lasts for the lifetime of the author / composer plus a minimum of fifty (50) years.
What Copyrights Can I Register With Songrite?
- Song Copyrights (Words and Music)
- Music Copyrights (Music)
- Lyric Copyrights (Song Lyrics)
Songrite Copyright Registration Includes:
When registering your songs / lyrics with Songrite Copyright Office we include the registration of all additional rights as set out below.
- The Music / Melody:
- The lyrics:
- The Arrangements:
- The Production:
- The Performance:
- The Artwork / Logo: (Album / CD Cover).
- Your Band / Stage or Performers name
All of these collective copyrights are included when registering complete songs or music only tracks.
Copyright Registration of Songs and Lyrics Direct Online:
Submitting your original work direct to us online is a quick, safe and secure process. However to safeguard and maintain the high level of security and efficiency we have restricted access to this facility to Songrite members only. Our Unique International copyright service is open and available to all songwriters, lyric writers and music composers who wish to register the copyrights of their work and have certified proof of ownership in the form of a copyright certificate. Online Copyright
How to Become a Member of Songrite - Songwriters Database:
Membership is totally free with no strings or commitments, the online application form takes a few moments to complete. This online copyright service is used by both professional and aspiring songwriters and composers to upload their original songs and lyrics for registration. Copyright Registration ensures all new and original works are documented and accredited to the owner, author or creator of the submitted works.
Copyright Registration by Regular Mail:
Using the regular mail service is an option open to both members and none members, however, due to the time consuming procedures involved with manual delivery, this method takes longer to complete and is dependent upon external systems which are beyond our control. (Local Mailing Services). Copyright by Mail
Copyright Registration Forms:
Copyright Registration Forms are only required when submitting your work by regular mail. There are three Copyright application forms available which cover everything from registering one single composition to a complete album of up to fourteen tracks. Copyright forms for registering songs, music and lyrics can be viewed here. Copyright Forms. (These forms are not required for online copyright registration).
Do it Yourself Copyright Protection:
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself in a sealed envelope or package is often referred to as “poor man’s copyright.” This "do it yourself" method of "copyrighting" is simple to by-pass and defraud which renders it totally unreliable and unacceptable as proof of ownership in a court of law.
There is no provision in the text of international copyright law that recognises “poor man’s copyright” as a viable alternative to registration. Placing trust in “poor man’s copyright” to protect your work is not only misguided but foolhardy and will surely result in your loss and disappointment if ever put to the test.
Safeguarding All Personal Information:
Protecting your privacy is important to us. We do not share, sell or exchange names email addresses or any other personally identifying information about our members or clients to any other organisation or agency.
The information contained within this site is offered as a consideration to visitors and at no time should the information be construed as legal advice; for all legal matters, we encourage our clients to seek the assistance of an attorney. The Copyright Office is not responsible for policing, or checking on registered works and their use, and cannot guarantee that the legitimacy of ownership or originality in a work registered by Songrite will never be questioned.
Copyright © 2020 Songrite Copyright Office - Song Copyrights - Music Copyrights - Lyric Copyrights.
Songrite Copyright Office - International Copyright Registration Service: